U.K. Gov. Bans Cell Phones in All Schools
The Sun, UK Press Sunday, November 16, 2003
TEACHERS have been ordered to ban their pupils from using their mobile phones amid rising safety fears. UK Education secretary David Blunkett has taken the unusual step of writing to ALL schools in England and Wales. Mr Blunkett said mobile phones should only be used by pupils under 16 in EMERGENCIES.
A spokesman for Mr Blunkett said: "We felt we had to issue guidance on the widespread use of mobile phones in schools. The department of Health is taking the lead but we have a responsibility where pupils are concerned. We felt we had to get the message across that the non-essential use of mobile phones should be discouraged."
Mr Blunkett's order to schools follows an investigation led by ex-Government chief scientist Sir William Stewart earlier this year. He warned that children could be susceptible to damage from radiation because their immune system is not fully developed. He also pointed out that the younger the child, the more years they could be exposed to radiation.
The report backed claims that minor health complaints like headaches, earaches and skin problems may be linked to mobiles.